Theseprettywords

Theseprettywords

Blood Howl - Robin Saxon, Alex Kidwell Originally posted on These Pretty Words.This book is a bit of a tough review for me. There are so many positive things about Blood Howl, but there are also a bunch of negatives. Let's start with something good – Jed and Redford. The authors wrote two very strong characters and made them almost complete opposites. Strong, loner Jed – ex-military, assassin, tough guy extraordinaire, total badass. I loved him. He had a charm and a wit to him that just screamed from the virtual pages and pulled me into the story from the first chapter. And his snark… phenomenal!Which brings us to Redford. Sweet, shy, quiet, practically afraid of other people… werewolf. I loved him too, though in a very different way. Redford didn't scream from the pages, he ghosted over them. He whispered and shuffled his way across my heart, written in such a way that you couldn't possibly mistake his dialogue and thoughts for any other character. Everything about him was tentative and subtle, even when he was being more aggressive, it was with a reserve one rarely sees. Truly well done!The bad: Ugh, this is always the part I hate. This book had some major plot holes, an odd pacing, and quite a few loose ends when it concluded. Decisions weren't explained, actions didn't make sense, and secondary characters weren't built in a way that could give them consistent behavior. Honestly, if it wasn't for Redford and Jed, I would have flounced. Those two boys made reading Blood Howl completely worthwhile.Overall I liked the book. I'm not saying rush out and buy it, but if you've got a gift card and a few spare hours, give it a read. Just don't expect much on the whole shifter/werewolf thing and be prepared to suspend a LOT of disbelief. Jed will give you a cocky little smirk if you do.