Theseprettywords

Theseprettywords

Between Seasons - Aida Brassington Reviewed on These Pretty Words Nov 4th.Descriptive. That’s the one word that comes to mind when I think of Aida’s debut novel – a touching tale of a nineteen year old young man who dies on the very first page. What comes after that almost disturbingly detailed account of a simple fall down a flight of stairs is a beautiful and unique look at life… and love… after death.Patrick haunts his childhood home for decades, alone and isolated from the rest of the world… until the day Sara walks in the door. Almost immediately she seems to have a sense of something or someone in the house, watching her, interacting with her. She does what many of us have probably done at one point or another – she talks to the nothing around her. And she absolutely captivates the dead young man still roaming the shag-carpeted halls.This book absolutely drowns you in the emotions of its characters. From the loneliness and sorrow of a long-dead Patrick, trapped in the same house he died in, to the anguish of the heartbroken Sara. Through the sweetness of falling in love and the bitterness of lost dreams. From the pain of feeling disconnected from everyone to finding that special someone who gets it… gets you. Even if he is dead.The bad: Take everything you think you know about ghosts and throw it all out the window. The world Aida builds includes touching… kissing… sleeping. It’s a fresh view on life after death, and I absolutely loved it!The characters are written true and bold, with flaws and quirks that make them stand right up off the page. The plot is intriguing and keeps the reader engaged right from the first page. The writing is witty, a bit snarky at times, and utterly captivating. I definitely recommend buying this lovely, unique, wonderful novel and giving it a read. It’s well worth the time. I’d love to see a sequel written, Miss Aida.