Theseprettywords

Theseprettywords

Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1) - Chrystalla Thoma Originally posted on These Pretty WordsI'm not a science fiction kind of girl. I admit a deep love for the paranormal but most things in the sci-fi realm leave me either confused or rolling my eyes. So when a request came in to read a book about parasites forming new races, I was a bit hesitant. But, in the true spirit of 'I read everything', I agreed to give Rex Rising a read (with another sci-fi loving reviewer in the wings just in case I couldn't finish it).I shouldn't have worried.The world Chrystalla builds is vivid and exciting. From the descriptions of the algae and fungi to the sense of neglect and squalor of the human cities. I loved reading about these seven islands and the culture of the inhabitants there. And the characters... so strong and solid. Elei tugged my heartstrings from his first appearance and really never let me go. The fragile balance within him and the way his strength and weakness battled at the same time was brilliant and well-written. The side characters were also wonderfully written, with personality quirks that stayed true and a clarity that kept them individualized. Really well done!I loved reading about the land of the seven islands and the culture of the inhabitants there. So much of the story depends on the reader understanding the plight of that society, and Chrystalla really knows how to use her pretty words to paint a picture. And the characters… so strong and solid. Elei tugged my heartstrings from his first appearance and really never let me go. The fragile balance within him, and the way his strength and weakness battled at the same time was brilliant and well-written. The side characters were also wonderfully developed, with personality quirks that stayed true and a clarity that kept them individualized. Really well done!This book is absolutely a “run, buy it, read it” recommendation. Trust me, Rex Rising is worth the time. Give Elei and his cohorts a little time (and very little money – at posting, RR will only set you back $.99!) and you’ll soon find yourself happily racing down the path of Rex Rising with a desperate need to figure out what’s going on. With the promise of an upcoming sequel, I will definitely be keeping an eye on Chrystalla.