Theseprettywords

Theseprettywords

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout Originally posted at These Pretty Words.When I saw another sci-fi book come in for review, I wondered if I was losing my mind. First parasites now aliens? That is so not me. But then I started reading… and reading… and I refused to put it down.This book owned me.Here’s a little run down – Katy, book blogger from Florida, moves to West-by-God-Virginia with her mom to start a new life. Katy meets the neighbors – two unworldly beautiful teenagers who seem to have no parents, enormous appetites, and, in the case of Daemon, a lack of shirts. There’s fighting, snark, swimming, hiking, evil-dude-killing and, maybe, a kiss or two.Have I got you hooked yet?Let me tell you, as a girl who is not the biggest sci-fi fan, Obsidian made me want to hunt down some light-emitting aliens and do an overnight snuggle-fest. What Jennifer does in this book is absolutely amazing. She writes characters so true to themselves, they could literally walk right off the page (and smirk at you while shirtless). You’ve got angry, sarcastic, annoying (and yet oh-so-hot) Daemon; snarky, wonderful, more-confident-than-she-thinks Katy; and fun, vibrant, bordering-on-silly Dee. There are others of course, but these three make the book what it is.Katy is awesome – a book blogger who Vlogs her ‘In my Mailbox’ Mondays. She’s not some weak little teenage girl chasing the brooding boy around like a puppy. She’s sharp, spunky, and even though she has to be rescued occasionally, she doesn’t just sit back and pull a damsel-in-distress. She fights. She loves wholeheartedly. And she refuses to surrender. I love her more than my luggage… and I have really nice luggage.Daemon – the boy next door – is angry and sometimes mean. He’s doesn’t just have walls up; he’s got jagged cliff-walls with spikes mounted all along the face and huge loops of barb-wire on top. There were many moments when I wanted to beat him over the head with a wooden spoon, but then he’d do something sweet and kind and I’d melt a little… just like Katy.The bad – this is the first in a series so there’s not a ton of answers to be had. Also, there was a little bit of cliché writing (“See something you like, Kitten?” mad me gag – it screams bad fanfiction, but that could just be because I’ve read a lot of bad fanfiction) but not enough to pull me out of the story. The cover is not worthy of the writing inside and the summary… well, when someone says ‘he marked me’ all I can think of is a dog pissing on something. Not pleasant. But whatever – covers, summaries, and one or two eye-rolling sentences aside, Obsidian is fabulous!This is totally a “run, buy, read – now!” book. The snark, the jokes, the ice cream, the light, the romance… it’s a great book to sink into and forget about the real world for a while. This is absolutely going on my rereadable shelf, and I’m marking the second in the series as a ‘Waiting for Release’.