Theseprettywords

Theseprettywords

Homespun Bride (The McKaslin Clan: Historical Series, Book 1) (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Historical #2)

Homespun Bride - Jillian Hart Review originally published at These Pretty WordsI’m a sucker for a good historical romance. Whether it is a Regency Era story filled with rogues and broken betrothals or a wonderful politically charged tale from the reign of Bloody Mary – when they’re done right, I get sucked back in time and love every single second. So when I saw this little number come up as a possible review book, I jumped at the chance to read it.Author Jillian Hart takes us back to 1883 and places her characters in a town in the Montana Territory. The railroad has just been placed through the area but life is still hard. Our main character, Noelle Kramer, learned that the hard way when she lost her family and her sight in a horrible accident. She’s moved in with her aunt and uncle, but still craves her independence – something totally believable no matter what the time-frame. The language seems appropriate for the time, the behavior of the characters fit, and no out-of-place details pulled me from the storyline.While the historical aspect of this book was well written, I found the romance part a bit lacking. Noelle had once loved cowboy Thad, who left her without a word. When he comes back, they both fall into a strange non-relationship as they figure out what happened to pull them apart and realize how much they still love each other. Sounds good in theory but the pacing dragged, the romance took forever to build, and there was nothing I wanted more than to beat Thad over the head and tell him to quit brooding over not being good enough.In the end I gave the book a three-star Goodreads rating. It’s not anything I’d ever go back and reread but it was an entertaining, albeit frustrating, Saturday afternoon read. If you love the little details of a good historical romance, check this one out. Maybe you’ll find Thad less irritating than I did.