Theseprettywords

Theseprettywords

Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires Series #5)

Drink Deep - Chloe Neill When I reviewed the Chicagoland Vampires series, I was waiting oh-so-impatiently for this book to come out. I told you I was probably “on my couch, tea at my side, Nook in my hand, praying for… well, read the series and you’ll know what I’m praying for.” And believe me, when I saw Drink Deep download onto my Nook in the late-night hours, I was totally ready to dive in... but I didn't. I was afraid of being disappointed, afraid of not getting what I needed from the author, and, ultimately, afraid this next book would be nowhere near as good as the first four.I'm still conflicted as I write this review.Chloe brought back our Cadogan vamps but the sense of fun from the previous books was gone. These vamps were grieving the loss of Ethan, they were dealing with an overbearing arse from the GP with plans to disband their house, and of course there's this whole 'the world may be ending and the citizens of Chicago are blaming the vamps' thing. Total downer. And yet, there's still Merit... strong, snarky, and kicking major supernatural butt just like through the first four books.The bad: I can't say too much because I really don't want to spoil a single second, but the ending for me was a bit too 'snap my fingers and we're happy' for my taste. I totally loved the who-did-it-and-why aspect, but the rest left me a little unimpressed.Drink Deep has Chloe's typical pacing – slow through three-quarters of the book and building to a late crescendo. Her characterizations stay strong and true leaving no doubt as to who is speaking or acting at any moment. The plot is great, the tension is intense, and the ending left me wishing the next book in the series was coming out tomorrow so I could read more. Truly an excellent read, even with the parts I didn't like.