Theseprettywords

Theseprettywords

Sheltered

Sheltered - Charlotte Stein Wow...just wow.There's a lot to this book that I could swoon over - the steamy sex scenes, the charming 'bad boy' who's really a sweetheart, the warped world the main character lives in and how Charlotte writes it in a way that's so honest, neither overly detailed nor so broad as to not give the reader a true sense of Eve's personal hell. I could go on and on and on about these.But instead, I want to give you one point that made me smile, made me happy I read this book, and made me want to wrap Charlotte up in a blankie and snuggle with her for being real. Eve is not a skinny-minny girl. She describes herself as something like fat or heavy or whatever word is allowed when describing overweight women. But when it's time for Van to talk about her, to tell her how beautiful she is, he doesn't use the normal adjectives like curvy or voluptuous. No, he goes all in and makes me practically pass out from the swoons."She couldn't even be concerned with her body and how it looked to someone like him - skin so pale, every part of it so excessive, somehow - because after a moment he murmured many good, good words against her breast.Words like lovely and lush and ripe."Yeah, you don't often see us fat girls called luscious or ripe in romances. Something about that, about the way Van never saw Eve as anything other than beautiful, absolutely owned my soul for those moments. Thank you, Charlotte, for reminding this fat girl that her curves are okay, that her husband isn't sugar-coating when he tells her how beautiful she is, and for writing a scene so small yet so monumentally beautiful. I loved every single word.